Palliative Care is supportive medical care for people who have a serious illness. This type of care helps you manage symptoms, pain relief and stress related to your illness. The main goals of our Palliative Care Service (PCS) include relieving physical and emotional discomfort, clarifying goals of care, facilitating communication among providers, coordinating discharge planning, and providing support throughout the hospitalization. During your illness, the PCS will assist and help you and your family to achieve an overall better quality of life.
Palliative Care is available to any seriously ill patient at any stage of a life-limiting illness, including:
- Malignancies (e.g., leukemia)
- Congestive Heart Failure/ cardiovascular disease
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Alzheimer’s disease/ dementia
- Neurological disease (e.g., stroke & Parkinson’s disease)
- Chronic debilitating infections, and kidney failure
- Multisystem failure / malnutrition/ failure to thrive
You and your family can request a consultation with a palliative care service member at any time. For a consultation or for more information, please call the palliative care team at 1-415-677-2349.